Friday 23 April 2010

Batik














These are cantings. The batik workers wax application tool. They have a teak handle and a copper chamber and spout. I bought myself two ready for my first batik workshop tomorrow. I attended a very interesting talk about Batik from Java and Thailand on Wednesday evening at Wombourne Quilters' Guild.
Diane Gaffney, from Textile Traders in Bishop's Castle (www.textiletechniques.co.uk) came to speak about how she goes abroad collecting Batik work to sell in this country. She has enlisted several villagers in various countries to make Batik in the traditional way and thereby helps their local economies. She has been doing this for twenty years or more.



Here are some of the sumptuous fabrics which she brought with her.

















I particularly like this large copper stamp for dipping in wax to make a resist pattern

We won't have such luxury tomorrow on the workshop - we are making our own designs, but I am really looking forward to it.

5 comments:

  1. Oh I like that stamp too! Hope you share how your day goes. I'm going to work on some batik projects this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fabric is wonderful!! I have a wooden stamp from India - I am wondering now, if maybe that was made for doing a wax resist!!Will look forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you! Hope you have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post, my cousin is a batik artist and has been working in batik since the 70's, it is an amazing art!

    ReplyDelete

your comments are always appreciated - I enjoy reading them. You don't need to have a blog to leave a comment, you can select the name/URL option and fill in just your name instead of a blog link.