Tuesday 6 December 2016

2016 - a good year for art

If you don’t know me already this is a little about me and the year that has nearly finished. It’s been a whirlwind, very busy but very happy-making!!
clare5-steve-pool-2016
Clare Wassermann lives and works in Wolverhampton. Originally gaining an honours degree in Music with Education, then teaching and playing saxophone and clarinet in London and Nottingham, she re-qualified as a Registered Homeopath and returned to Wolverhampton in 2001. For fourteen years she happily combined teaching and homeopathy but then her artwork suddenly began to take off.
“I have always enjoyed painting, drawing and stitching since childhood, encouraged by my father who was a long-standing member of Wolverhampton Society of Artists, but suddenly my work really began to sell in 2014”
She had started to paint larger paintings which were very vibrant and uplifting and buyers were inspired by their optimistic and health giving properties. “I love the idea of layer upon layer in paint, memories and experience. Some paintings have ten or even twenty layers built up and most are in response to my meditation and yoga practice. All are a pure celebration of my external and internal landscape. Juxtaposition of edges and colour combinations excite me.
I use recurring symbols, meaningful to me and sometimes words in my layers, building up and letting go of images as I work.
Sometimes I work in fabric and stitch for even more texture.
I use my intuition, as far as possible, to take me on the journey towards a final balance point. This art practice becomes a metaphor for life”.

In January 2016, after a successful exhibition, she took the plunge and rented a studio at Newhampton Arts Centre, Wolverhampton and since then things have moved apace.
An American Author, Kathy Walsh, admired her work on Instagram and asked her if she would illustrate her next children’s book. “I looked at her previous books on Amazon and saw that she was writing with an aim to promote peace and mindfulness for children”, Clare commented, “so I decided to accept this opportunity and embrace a new genre for me”.
The first two books, “Today An Elephant I Will Be” and “My Mindfulness ABC”are now available and I’m working on the third which will be out in the early part of next year. Kathy and she are planning some events in the U.S.A. next year.
Book
Another unexpected development has been teaching art workshops in the studio space. I work with small groups to open up creative ideas and build confidence in expression in paint and mixed media. Artists who are experiencing block and adults who feel that they would like to paint creatively but lack confidence have all enjoyed these unusual and enjoyable days.
horse-on-the-moor
Details on the Workshop page
building-a-community
Some items are in my SHOP (always being updated)- otherwise contact me

A big THANK YOU to all those who have supported me and encouraged along the way. You know who you are, and I couldn’t have kept it up without you.

Gentle Rain2 Clare Wassermann 30 inches square photo Neil Roberts

“Gentle Rain” Acrylic on box canvas 30″ x 30″


For more information please visit www.clarewassermannart.com
Facebook Clare Wassermann Art and Stitch
Instagram Clare­_Wassermann_Art


1 comment:

  1. How lovely to read of your continuing success Clare. Congratulations on the illustrations too... Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

your comments are always appreciated - I enjoy reading them. You don't need to have a blog to leave a comment, you can select the name/URL option and fill in just your name instead of a blog link.